Welcome to Upward Basketball and Cheerleadng! In Upward, EVERY CHILD IS A WINNER… This year’s league is a ministry sponsored by First and Second Baptist Churches in Clinton.
As a parent, you play a very important role in building the self-esteem and character of your child and every child in this league. Basketball and Cheerleading participants look to their parents and coaches as models for sportsmanship, respect and authority, and positive attitudes. Through your positive participation in this league, you can provide a lasting effect in these children that will live well beyond the end of the season.
• Make sure your child arrives on time to practices and games
• After each practice, ask your child about the practice devotion and Scripture that was shared
• Look for positive actions during practices and games that you can praise your child for
• During practices and games, support the coach by allowing them to give any instruction or feedback to the squad. Directions from multiple sources can cause confusion to the participants
• Cheer for both teams and all cheerleading squads. This helps create an environment in which every child is supported
• Support the volunteer referees with positive comments only. They are giving their time to the children of the league
• After the game, join your child’s squad and cheer for each participant
You will be contacted in the coming weeks with information about your child’s coach and practice night. There will be a one-hour practice each week. During each practice, a coach will deliver a short devotion to the participants. Children will have the opportunity to learn Scripture verses together, and will be rewarded for their participation.
Before every game, the referee will lead both basketball/cheerleading groups in prayer at center court. All cheers learned will be used to encourage both teams that are playing. No negative cheers are Teams/Squads will be determined by age. In most cases, like age groups will be teamed together. Terms like “beat”, “kill”, “fight”, and “defeat” will not be permitted.